The Department of Health and Human Services known as HHS released even more safeguards for patients health information. The primary change is the Omnibus rule, which says any improper use will be considered a breach and would result in mandatory notification requirements. The omnibus rule also extends the requirements of HIPAA privacy to all business associates of physicians and all subcontractors doing business with physicians. The official deadline for the omnibus rule is March 26, 2013. Proper policies and technologies should be implemented immediately to ensure compliance. Some helpful technologies for HIPAA that BorderLAN Network Security supplies are:
- Email Encryption – Helps physicians communicate with contractors third-party medical facilities, hospitals, and even home healthcare practitioners about patients securely.
- Intelligent antivirus – enterprise level AV software to watch not only known threats but help prevent emerging threats and zero day attacks.
- Desktop security software – helps prevent leaks occurring from end-users loading of programs, malware knowingly or unknowingly.
- Bring your own device – enterprise server that can accept and remember guest connections to Wi-Fi, and ensure those devices are scanned according to policy before being allowed on the network.
- Proper web filtering – high-capacity servers that mitigate users web activity and help prevent web-based threats, downloads, Hotmail and other potential holes and breaches for HIPAA.
- USB prevention and data loss prevention – software that enforces security policies to end points both on networking off network.
See Products from BorderLAN http://borderlan.com/products/ for more information or Contact us